Wednesday, November 4, 2015

My First US Tourist Visa Application - DENIED!

That blue paper they hand you slapping your visa denial right in the face.
I may not be the only one but, unlike most Filipinos, I never really dreamed of going to the US to live the "American dream". I would have rather gone to France, Italy, Japan, or maybe even Korea, to explore more about food and anime. I actually do pretty well as an online freelancer and had no dreams of living in the United States. That was until I met Alex, his family, and his wonderful friends.

I had always thought Americans were very hard to deal with. I've worked at 2 different call centers in the past dealing with irate American callers every single day. But when I met my boyfriend's family and friends, that all changed. Now, I actually want to go the US (particularly WI) so bad just to meet all of them. So Alex and I planned for another vacation here in the Philippines, so he can help me get a US tourist visa. Only to find out that he is not allowed to enter the establishment.

So I did what I had to do. I gathered all the documents needed: DS 160 online application form, passport, 2x2 photo, proof of payment for appointment reservation and some supporting documents. Also asked papa to give us a ride there at 5 am in the morning, because my interview was at 7 am. Alex, papa, and mama could only stay in the car praying I would get approved.

I was allowed to enter the building at 6:45 am. All Non-Immigrant Visa applicants were put into separate lines, arranged into work visa, fiance visa, and other immigrant visa types. In there, you were not allowed to bring any metallic objects or electronics. You will be better off if you only bring your papers in.

According to the signs that you can find almost everywhere, you need to undergo 5 steps:
1. Pre-screening
2. Finger Scanning
3. Consulate Interview
4. Oath Taking
5. Finalizing of Documents



These stages are all located in one big room. I thought there would be rooms or offices where the interview would be conducted. But it turns out that they're all counters (like ticket booths). There is a complete lack of privacy as other people can see your progress and hear your conversations.

Pre-screening
I was asked the same questions I answered while filling out the online form (DS-160). I remember being asked my date of birth, the place I intended to go to, the name of the person I'm visiting, my address, my phone number, so on and so forth. Of course, I would get that all right. That was my form they were reading. But I overheard an applicant only getting 2/5 right...


Finger Scanning
So, after the pre-screening, you just walk a little bit to the next area and walk to another "booth" to get your fingers scanned. They will scan four fingers on your right hand, four fingers on your left, and your two thumbs together.
(after 1.5hours of waiting)

Consulate Interview
I handed an American Lady consulate my papers (Tourist Visa B-2) and our conversation went like this:

Consulate: Hi Ma'am... How are you?

Me: Hi, I'm good. You?

C: Good good. So why would you like to visit the United States?

Me: I would love to meet my boyfriend's parents and friends in Wisconsin.

C: How long do you plan to stay there?

Me: Only for about a month. Bond with his parents and friends, tour WI a little bit and then come back home.

C: Oh that's nice. So you and your boyfriend plan to live here in the Philippines in the future?

Me: No, he wanted us to live in there.

C: I'm sorry. Unfortunately, I have to decline your application.

Me: Wait, why?

C: That's because you have plans of staying there.

Me: Not right now though?

C: But you just said you do and you can't apply for this Visa. You'd do better if you apply for a fiance visa.

Me: I see. Okay, thank you for the time.

C: Neeeext.

And since that was just a ticket booth/counter where the rest of the people can hear what she just said, I felt kind of embarrassed and teary. I wanted to disappear right then and there. I just walked towards the door and tried not to look at anyone. I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.
So yeah, as much as I want to blog about that the last two steps, I can't. I didn't reach that far. Although, I have an idea of what may happen...

Oath Taking
Probably take an oath that you are returning back to the Philippines?

Finalization of Documents
If you need your visa mailed to you in a different address or if there are corrections that needed to be done, it has to be finalized on that area because it can't be changed 24 hours after the interview.


So I went out of the building and there I saw my boyfriend who's trying to read my facial expression. I was doing my best not to cry so I just smiled and walked towards him. Hugged him and whispered "I'm sorry. I didn't get it". And then, I break down and cry lol.


Mom and dad were looking at me from the distance. They can tell I didn't get it and was sad about it. I told them what happened in there. Then papa said,

"You would have better chance if you two are married. At least, they can no longer declined your next application."

I might have been really really sad, but today is also one of the happiest days in my life. Papa who's very strict and not that fond of me is giving us his approval and is even acknowledging Alex as a future son-in-law.

Now, its all up to my future mom and dad. I feel so bad I wasn't given the chance to cook for them myself. I would love to spend time with them and show them I am deserving of Alex too. Just like what Alex been showing to mine.

Anyway, we'll just see how it goes from here. I might have been applying for the wrong visa type in the first place.

3 comments:

  1. "Excellent job done and nice informative blog posted.

    Thanks"

    US Immigration Policy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mars, thanks for sharing your very informative experience on US tourist visa application. Learned a lot from it, lalo na ung sa 5 steps. Scary naman ung naririnig ng iba, sana may mala Harry Houdini magic din ako para kung madeny, escape agad. LOL! I'm happy to read about your papa's approval though. So carry lang yan...apply nalang ng Fiance visa para approved agad. Good luck mars! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. but why UsA DONT WANT PEOPLE TO STAY IN DER COUNTRY?

    ReplyDelete